Sunday, March 2, 2008

Tell the Story, Ask Questions

The writing has been harder lately. So much harder that doing anything other than private journaling felt like pulling teeth. Yet, I persisted. Today I tried some new techniques for what to do when you feel "blocked" even though I didn't exactly believe that I was or felt that way. I mean, I was writing. I have an outline and plan. I followed them and made my minimum word counts at worst. And I know part of the writing process is that things stop feeling like that rush when you start a new story and you have to get through. But it was just...not feeling right. Today, I think I figured out why. I was forcing my words the story. I kept saying to myself some variation of, "Write this, write harder. Yeah I have a plan and yeah I can augment it, but structure is important - I need to follow it. Goals to hit. Create! Now."

And this is part of writing process I know, but I completely ignored when my gut said, "This isn't working, this scene is wrong." Or "This character doesn't really want to do this or behave this way." I just nodded and kept going - I thought I was trying to sabotage myself and all my efforts for organization and discipline. I tried to force things to happen and because I made a map (an outline) I wrote to the outline - not to the story I have to tell. There is a difference, at least for me. But it felt like I was writing through stinky mud - possible to do, but not pleasant.

So I stopped. Today through a writing exercise I was asked questions, which inspired answers and more questions...lo and behold I started to get the right answers. Things started to click with the story and characters. I'm going to have to tear up a bunch of words/progress (again!) but for the feeling that this is what the characters would do and where the story ought to go, I feel better, energized and intrigued with my story again. I know I can force characters to do whatever or the story to do what I want. But I realize because I was forcing reactions that progressed the plot (technically) though not the story, the story itself was suffering and becoming flat.

Now, I can continue to throw monkey wrenches at my characters to see if they can dodge or catch them, but I know if they would scream and cry rather than take a hit and act tough then that is what they should do. That is more true. No matter how fantastic a story I may tell, I always want some truth; true lies to be told. It's a thing. So I guess part of the lesson here is to trust my writing instincts. When it feels wrong it probably is wrong. And I shouldn't get hung up about not following the outline if something different feels right. Tell the story.

I'm back to excitement about my 5 a.m. wake-ups. Ok, not excitement but...more positively motivated to do it to see what will happen next in the story. How 'bout that?

4 comments:

John Goodrich said...

You are a brave, brave person, Ray, to get up at 5AM to write. I think you deserve a big old pot of encouragement every time you do it.

I find word count to be more relevant than page count, although it doesn't indicate how much useable work got done, it does give in indication of work that got done.

Renee M. Solberg said...

Word counts just make my motivation flow better I've discovered and I'm more positive about my productivity overall.

And thank you I'm starting to hit a rhythm with the 5 am wake up but the disadvantages are I still seem to want to do this on weekends and unless the insomnia fairy visits I'm ready for bed fairly early. But progress is being made! :)

Anonymous said...

My early morning wake-ups did not happen this week, or the last, but I'm now ready to re-discipline myself. I haven't written any fiction in over a week and the bad feeling from that lack of writing is now outweighing other life stresses!

It was good to see you last night, even we didn't say more than a few words to each other. Congrats on the new job :)

Creative A said...

it was just...not feeling right. Today, I think I figured out why. I was forcing my words the story. I kept saying to myself some variation of, "Write this, write harder. Yeah I have a plan and yeah I can augment it, but structure is important - I need to follow it. Goals to hit. Create! Now.

I can empathize. For the longest time I didn't know why my writing felt so stiff, so forced...I couldn't figure it out. Eventually I realized I was making myself write this artificial thing - I wasn't taking the time to listen to my story. Gah.

It's a sucky place to be in. Glad you got around that!

The Fine Print

Creative Commons License
Words That Rattle 'Round My Head by Ray M. Solberg is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.