Tuesday, February 19, 2008

It's A Dirty Job But Someone's Gotta Do It....

Let's see....

I notice some writers of blogs I read have a "Confession Weekday," where they list the week's accomplishments and upcoming goals. This seems like a good motivation. I think I will try this and see how it works for me. I like Tuesdays.

So here's "The Score."

This weekend was not as productive for writing progress as I would have preferred, though progress was made. Slow progress. I wrote and I gave into my inner editor with revising until I repeated my mantra "First Draft...First Draft...Don't go daft with your First Draft. That's what revisions are for." It helped.

I've been thinking of submitting some short stories or flashes at least. I'm so consumed with thoughts about my WIP (when not doing my other life/responsibilities stuff) it's been hard to think of other stories. Still, I journal for myself and I create flashes once a week with writing prompts at Absolute Write Water Cooler and those have been fun. I've also been introduced to some very talented writers. The stories I write for AWWC I use for fun and development. I haven't worried about them for submission, coherency or even becoming more than exercises, though I'm touched when people occasionally suggest that something I've written could be continued and I do consider it. Then again sometimes I write stuff and get a polite sort of "That's nice but what?" I don't mind when that happens, lets me know what works for others and what may just be working for me.

The writer's group I attend has created a radical splinter group (Radsplip - Love that Jamie!) that is devoted to serious novelists helping each other. I'm hopeful that not only will I continue to learn, grow, better develop my writing skills, be inspired by others and possibly make some new friends, I'll also have a steady focus (goal dates) to help me get my book ready for prime time.

So this week, I'd like to make some significant progress on my Draft (after major test tomorrow for class). I'm going to try writing for pages instead of word count and see how that works. Three pages minimum to start.

More research (I'm doing it as I go so I don't bog myself down with research when I should be writing). There are some concepts I want to be sure I have good basic understanding of for my WIP before I take them and go waaaaaay left.

I'd like to get consistently back on the "wake up early and write" train for at least one week and see how this compares to my current ride, "write in the afternoon" train with the "write in spare moments too," caboose. There is no reason I can't get up early and write except I'm not generally a morning motivated person and my bed whispers seductive things in concert with my pillow to me every morning when I try to get up - not to mention the siren-like warmth that emits effortlessly from the Human Heater (aka Hot Clever Man).

Ugh. Reading all that back I can confess it's just lazy talk, I know it and it has no place in my goals. Better to focus on the advantages which is that by doing this, I can get 2.5 hours solid time (which is 2 hours of writing after tea and morning meditation) if I just get up and do it. I know I'll love the feeling of accomplishment. I can also continue to write in between other tasks the rest of the day knowing that those words could be icing on my cupcake.

Oh, I must set a time. A very early but reasonable time. 5 a.m. because then I'll have an hour to get dressed for the day. Good gravy that is early for me. One week AND a 3 hour modifier for weekends IF I have no plan for that day. Ok, that can work.

AND....I will write or revise one story for the purpose of submission to some outlet this week.

I'll let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are some wonderful goals! I manage maybe an hour of writing early in the mornings, but only on the days the siren-like warmth emitting from my own Human Heater doesn't keep me in bed (I laughed out loud when I read that in your post - you described it perfectly). Two hours sounds heavenly.

I keep hearing great things about Absolute Writer Water Cooler. You've talked me into spending time this weekend exploring it.

The Fine Print

Creative Commons License
Words That Rattle 'Round My Head by Ray M. Solberg is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.