Saturday, July 28, 2007

Current Thoughts: Words of Power

These thoughts are my current perceptions on the topic and subject to change with self-growth.

From the miniseries Twin Peaks
Fire Walk With Me (poem) by David Lynch


Through the darkness of future past,
The magican longs to see
One chants/(chance) out between two worlds:
Fire walk with me.
***

Quote from novel Dune
by Frank Herbert


I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
~Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear
***

Quote from Schoolhouse Rocks

Knowledge is Power!
***

What do all three of these quotes have in common? Besides exposing me as a sci-fi/Saturday morning cartoon geek? All of these words are memorable for many of those who have read them or have heard them uttered in a movie or TV show. Why? Power. The power to evoke and stay in the consciousness. The power to echo around your head and heart, to touch your soul. The power to move you in some way, reveal something to you...or within you. It isn't the words alone, it's the sentiment, the context. The complete picture.

Stories that are absent these sort of words are enjoyable and valid too. I think of them as "dessert stories" entertaining for fun's sake- satisfying because the context and your head are in the mode. Like a good "for the beach" or "for the plane ride" book. But I love when I come across words of power. I love stories and works that shake my core, my values, and my perceptions. Words and notions that challenge me or just...knock my socks off.

There's nothing like the sensation of reading something and feeling goose bumps course across your skin. Some sort of pulse response, then a kindred sensation shooting up your spine. The rush of endorphins as you think to yourself eagerly, "Oh good gravy...these words, this sentiment...this idea is just so...good!

I don't think every single word written must be done with the intention to contain words of power - they can spring from humble origins to inspire and affect readers. I believe the better goal is to write true: write true to the story, the characters, the world, and if relevent to the message you are sending. In the best cases, your words can strike harmony with each other and then chords in readers, sparking their thoughts in some way. And that's when your words gain power. It doesn't matter if it's only for one person or millions. You've just moved someone in a very intimate way.

That's power in the good way.

No comments:

The Fine Print

Creative Commons License
Words That Rattle 'Round My Head by Ray M. Solberg is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.