Over the last few months, I've discovered some AWESOME podcasts. I'm sure you already knew about these shows (in which case why didn't you share with me?!), but if you didn't, then I'm happy to introduce you as a fellow reader, writer or fan of Sci-Fi, Fantasy and/or Horror so that you may enjoy them too.
Dragon Page
Conversations with the best and brightest creators of Science Fiction, Fantasy Literature today.
This is an amazingly fun biweekly (usually) broadcast. Sometimes listening to people interview others is snore worthy - not so here, at least on most of them I've heard. Great, funny, engaging, informative and well-read hosts that generally ask logical questions I would want to be asked and hear responses for in their interviews. Sounds like friends having a great time and you get to listen to them while they talk to cool people. I'm not even close to listening to all their podcasts, but with the exception of one I've heard thus far (and it was the author more than the hosts) they have all been very entertaining.
Authors I've heard: Terry Goodkind, Jane Espenson, S.C Butler, Brandon Sanderson, Steven R Donaldson and S. M. Stirling, Minister Faust, Stephanie Rowe to name a *very* few. (Loved the Anthony Lappe and Dan Goldman podcast too!). Shows can be grabbed on Itunes or on their web page.
Hosts: Brian Brown, Summer Brooks, Michael R. Mennenga, Tim Adamec, Michael A. Stackpole
Slice of SciFi
News about science fiction TV, movies and more
This is the sci-fi tv/film/general news equivalent (or extension if you like) to the Dragon Page podcasts and weekly (usually) with another show during the week focused on viewer response and updates (edit: TY Sam). Their story of origin rocks. The three hosts are laid back, very informed regarding all things "geekdom" and it sounds just like you're listening to some good friends talk about sci-fi stuff. Not really surprising though, since half of the hosts here are also the hosts for Dragon Page. I do enjoy this one a lot, it really grew on me. They can have some pretty funny conversations and observations. Voicemail shows are very funny. They do have some well known guests from time to time also.
Interviews include: Rod Roddenberry, Wil Wheaton, Bruce Campbell, Walter Kroenig, James Farr, Samuel Jackson, Jim Butcher, Katee Sackhoff, Tanya Huff, Bear McCreary, Colin Ferguson, Mur Lafferty, Peter Mohan, Tracy Hickman, Tim Russ, Kevin Falls and way more than I can type. Great podcast that can be snagged via Itunes or on their website or found on XM radio (See Sam's comment).
Hosts: Brian Brown, Summer Brooks, Michael R. Mennenga
Pod of Horror
Literature Horror news, interviews and happenings
I hadn't found any horror podcasts of equal caliber to Dragon Page or Slice of Sci-Fi for Horror literature (though ones for movies and films abound). Then I stumbled on the monthly podcast Pod of Horror. This show covers literature with occasional horror tv/movie star interviews too (Charisma Carpenter of BTVS or Angel series, Adrienne Barbeau from the movie The Fog spring to mind). The interviews are good to excellent, they cover topics and happenings in the world of horror literature (publishing and writers) very well. Brian Keene co-hosts episode #33, so that one is definitely worth a listen. But don't be mislead, they've had other great authors featured and interviewed of equal note and rising status. Host Mark Justice with prior host David T. Wilbanks are also now published authors (congrats!) and have recently released their novella Dead Earth: The Green Dawn to excellent reviews.
Authors interviewed/featured: Robert R. McCammon, John Urbancik, Ramsey Campbell, Edward Lee, Elizabeth Massie, Brian Hodge, Robert Liparulo, John Skip, Mark Justice and David T. Wilbanks. Shows can be snagged on Itunes or their website.
Hosts: Mark Justice, Nanci Kalanta and Scott Bradley
Escape Pod
(Podcast) Science Fiction Magazine
When I just want to hear some stories that intrigue or provoke Escape Pod can deliver. Worth listening you may be surprised who you see with a featured podcast. Some voice actors are more effective than others for me, but overall excellent stories for listening. I like to listen to them at night, kind of like radio serials. And with the ongoing writers strike for film and TV it's a welcome entertainment that really kicks your imagination into gear.
I hope you enjoy and please let me know your impressions. If you can recommend other resources like this across the web I would love to hear about them.
7 comments:
Slice of SciFi (SoSF) is a weekly show, not bi-weekly. It also has a weekly voicemail show every Friday. The regular SoSF podcast is every Saturday online and every Monday on XM-Satellite Radio's The Sonic Channel.
Thanks for the clarification Sam - I had lumped the voicemail shows in with my biweekly count for SoSF.
I didn't realize about the XM broadcast (probably since I don't have XM yet). I tend to block those commercials from my mind when they play - at least until my budget changes. ;)
Thanks for stopping by!
Thanks for the nice words about Pod of Horror. Glad you're enjoying it.
Hey Mark,
Thank you so much for the show and stopping by! My only wish is that th show could be more frequent (bi- monthly), though I realize this is likely a labor of love in between paying the bills and daily responsibilities. I have that affliction too.
I appreciate that your podcast focuses discussion on the literary world of horror from the fan and writer's point of view. You are very inclusive to independent publishers too, no small thing. Plus you cover horror in film, TV and conventions which is bonus. I'm still catching up on episodes and find I discover something with every listen - so can't beat that. You and your co-hosts Nanci and Scott combined are doing a fantastic job.
Oh, congrats on the new book! I will update my post to include you and David under authors too! ;)
Thanks, Ray.
I also wish it could be more frequent. But with a full-time job, a personal life and my writing, I take what I can get.
And don't forget Pseudopod, of course. Which I am not merely mentioning because they bought one of my stories, not at all.
Great list! I'm bookmarking all of these.
So glad you're joining the "group" which I've decided I'm going to call the "radical splinter group" or "radsplip" for short, until further notice.
Post a Comment