Thursday, September 6, 2007

The Other World Descends While I Meet More Writers

Since my last post my non-writing world has arrived, so I missed sharing my Sunday meditation. At this point, it likely would have been a shell-shocked meditation about how much essay writing I've got to do this semester in college. Am I in for a loooong four months. Should be fun in there...somewhere.

Attended my first writer's group meeting tonight (Thank you Richard!). Based on my perusal of "How to tell if the writing group you are attending is awesome or not" articles then just listening/watching the participants, I have to say my first impression is that I like this group. I'm not just saying that because some of them may trip here and find me (hello and welcome if you do). What I really liked about them is how they communicated and supported each other. The fact they offered each other constructive criticism, supported by reasons then offered pertinent suggestions of how to improve that were validated or clarified as opinion. They ended critiques with something positive said or reinforced, which I think is very humane and crucial regardless if one is tough-skinned or not. From the writing excerpts that I read in various stages of development, they've got passion and true sparks. There are some talented writers in this group and the levels of expertise appears to vary from new, intermediate and established. They appear to acknowledge and appreciate growth at any level.

I didn't meet all the members so I'm sure there must be some who speak with a sandpaper tongue rather than a silver one. That is probably a good thing as I'm a fan of balance. Personal preferences should probably be noted too, but they gave an impression that they are serious about wanting to write and grow. Another key point - passionate about writing and reading. We'll see how the next few meetings go and what happens when I submit my first piece for review. Hmm, more milestones ahead for me!

My organization plan is in slow mode as I take another week to get my non-writing world rhythms worked out (is that a good alliteration or just a funky tongue twister?) I'm still writing four days each week, I'm just not worrying about my personal quotas or counts yet. I'm focused on freewrites, a couple flash fics and enjoying writing fun stuff. Maybe its not quite as much as I want to be doing toward plan, but I'm writing consistently so I'm happy.

I'm going to get some rest so that I can wake up early and do some freewriting before the other world descends again. What will you do during your day to feel good or get closer to your writing goals?



No comments:

The Fine Print

Creative Commons License
Words That Rattle 'Round My Head by Ray M. Solberg is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.