Today, I looked forward to having the house to myself. Time to write uninterrupted muse or no muse. And as it would happen, the muse decided to take a trip today and was nowhere to be found this morning. That's fine, diligence being what it is, I nodded my head and prepared to work without said muse. Only I kept distracting myself with other things...I just couldn't clear my head. I tried to read but even that was hard. I knew I needed to try something different.
So rather than spend a whole day frustrated with myself, I gave in.
I relaxed. If I can't "mug the muse" (love that phrase - Holly Lisle thank you!), I can't summon it, and I have self-imposed goals to meet, then maybe a change of pace is in order. Instead of morning writing, I'll try later in the evening.
So today I checked on the Gardenia plant I potted yesterday. I did some housework. Prepared for tomorrow. Did grocery shopping. Relaxed and watched some of my guilty pleasure shows on TV (TIVO rocks). I did some laundry. And as I was playing a video game, I felt the muse lurking, looking around the corner. Possibly wondering where all my frustration is hiding. Where is my fear to ever become self-disciplined? But the fear and frustration aren't hidden or lurking, they just don't hold any sway with me at this point. I nod to the muse but I don't approach. I look away and continue to enjoy myself. I find, happily I don't feel guilty at all 'cause again muse or no muse, I'll write later tonight. I'll still reach my goal for today.
And what do you know? The muse is hanging out, shyly. Brilliant!
So what have I learned? Sometimes it's ok to give in and not do the work immediately, particularly when I give myself realistic parameters so I still get things done and I don't feel behind the eight ball. Perhaps take care of things niggling in the back of my mind, too. This allows me to fully enjoy my time and be present in the moment.
So, back to my amusements for a little longer. Then I'm off to write. What will you do?
2 comments:
It takes a lot of guts, when you're just starting to write, to realize that it's not working and walk away for a little while. I remember being just desperate to write something that I would slap just anything down on paper, only to come back later and realize what utter crap it was.
However, there comes a point where you need to stop externalizing the Muse. It is in you, it is part of you. You are the person that is having the great idea, you are the only person who could write this story in this way. As you grow more familiar with that part of yourself, it becomes easier to access your creativity, and to have that state of mind where the ideas come freely. But never forget--it all comes from you.
It *is* an important distinction and you're right I need to keep this in mind. It's also a nice way to avoid saying "me me me" when you name the creative a muse and have discussion.
But you are right I must remember that, it's all in me. As it is in you, too.
Thank you.
Post a Comment