First, a big thank you to all of you who posted or emailed me about my last post. All of your comments brought points of view that helped me with my sinkhole so I can get moving. Your thoughts always have value to me.
Now, onto this post.
So aside from fighting what appears to be a cold, I've been thinking this week about my writing and my goals. What do I have in my head right now?
I've got some stories, definitely short stories.
I've got four actual novels that I want to write, have partially written or have written.
I've got some flash fiction pieces too.
So what's a writer to do with all this ambition, knowing that the non-writing world also has to play a part in all I do? My solution is fourfold: Plan. Organize. Apply self-discipline. Have fun.
Plan:
I want to write novels first and foremost but I must still live in the non-writing world and meet my goals there too. So I need a plan. So far, this is the plan: Write.
Awesome! Now to flesh that puppy out.
I will write something 4 days minimum each week. I can always write more or more often, but that is my minimum. It can be free writing. It can be story writing and/or blog writing. But I must do this and lucky for me I want to do this. Set up word counts for projects to make more finite objectives for this.
On the days that I don't write, I don't feel pressured or guilty about it because I'm making sure I'm taking time out for loved ones or for myself to be the responsible individual I need to sometimes be. To read. To laugh, recharge and let other stimulus spark me. To live - writers can research the dickens out of things but we have to live a little too, right?
Organize:
I've got my writing space. I've got my blog set-up. I've got weblinks to favorite inspirations and others to tools to help me on my way. As a MAC user I'm getting the hang of Scrivener program and loving it. I'm working on very loose outlines because I'm not entirely sure how outlining works for me yet but I've got a few new formats to try. I'm half researching which publishers and sites I'll want to submit my works, but I'm mostly creating my story idea notebook/file to be filled with thoughts and phrases that strike me, works that inspire. I'm also getting a notebook for me just to do some free writing. I love typing my stories but the longhand writing even with the bad handwriting and hand cramps makes me slow down, consider what I'm saying. It's a very good exercise. Oh and I bought a kitchen timer! NaNoWriMo taught me this trick - when you don't feel like writing put a timer down give yourself 5-10 min and then just write anything. Afterward, walk away or if stimulated continue. For me this often works.
Apply Self-Discipline:
::Shudders:: Discipline and I are still getting acquainted but I hope we become respectful partners, if not steadfast friends. Talking about writing is not writing. Researching is not writing. Sending emails is writing, but not progressive writing on your stories. Procrastination is not my friend. To help resist procrastination and its sweet siren call, I'll maintain my daily writing with a word count (variable to my current project). No stated absolute goals when I'm free writing. (What I do with what's written after those sessions...is what it is.)
Have Fun:
Now, why would someone sing with a beautiful voice if it makes them utterly miserable? Perhaps to bring joy to others or because it's something they must do. If I find myself in this sort of situation where I'm not having fun, but I must persevere I believe I should at least be thoughtful about doing it and about why. When I'm feeling the least inclined this is what may help me to go on. Aside from that, I am fun-loving and I really enjoy the process. It's the ride and the destination that are worthwhile, right? .
More specific:
* I am going to focus on writing a few flash fics and doing some free writing to keep my brain exercising for the next couple weeks. With classes starting up again and the new workload to balance out this will keep me writing but allow me to figure out how my other time commitments will affect my schedule. This may end sooner or later but I want to give myself time to get a good schedule going.
* By 9/17 I'm going to start working on one of my written novels, probably taking a good critical eye and rewriting it. Chances are this will be The Fugue State.
* I plan to participate in NaNoWriMo this year. No idea what I'll write yet but...likely it will be a very rough first draft for one of the four unwritten novels.
* I'm going to start attending local writer group meetings too and see what fun and information can be gleaned there. I always want to learn new things.
* I give myself inherent permission to ditch this plan if it isn't working and try something new. But I need to give this a good chance first.
...and that's my Sunday Writing Meditation and current game plan. Thoughts, assertions and suggestions welcome.
3 comments:
Awesome. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help out. I've been known to email fellow writers on a daily basis to egg 'em on. Or we could meet with our laptops at someplace that does NOT have wireless access, and shame each other into churning out words.
YES! I'm all for this and I'm a good cheerleader/snark you into writing something partner too. Absolutely!
You wanna try a weekly/bi weekly thing? I'll email you about it and a couple other things too.
That sounds like a brilliant idea. I'm looking forward to it.
Post a Comment